Feature Request for Prophet 12

The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet-12 Analogue Synthesizer

Moderator: Pym

amos922

Feature Request for Prophet 12

Post by amos922 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:15 pm

I havent seen a thread in regards to feature request, while alot of the ideas are probably set in stone by now I didnt think it would hurt to open up the forum for feature request. So far I am 100% behind the prophet and its features, my only request is a "delay" and "fade" feature for the LFO. I love this feature on my blofeld and hope it could be implemented into the Prophet 12. It is especially nice when bringing in fm modulated sounds and having them drop out.

1. LFO Delay
2. LFO Fade

Pym

Re: Feature Request for Prophet 12

Post by Pym » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:08 pm

That's what envelopes are for. We have 2 aux envelopes you could route to do this
amos922 wrote:I havent seen a thread in regards to feature request, while alot of the ideas are probably set in stone by now I didnt think it would hurt to open up the forum for feature request. So far I am 100% behind the prophet and its features, my only request is a "delay" and "fade" feature for the LFO. I love this feature on my blofeld and hope it could be implemented into the Prophet 12. It is especially nice when bringing in fm modulated sounds and having them drop out.

1. LFO Delay
2. LFO Fade
Chris Hector
https://soundcloud.com/iampym
Dave Smith Instruments

amos922

Post by amos922 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35 pm

You're absolutely right! Lol didnt think of that! I have the tempest a well; gonna try that when I get home! That was my only feature request, had my preorder in the first day sweetwater took them...it's as good as sold!

cbmd

Post by cbmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:44 pm

It's good to note that the LFO's on the Prophet 12 have a "Slew" and "Phase" parameter per LFO.
Carson Day
Technical Support
Dave Smith Instruments

amos922

Post by amos922 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 am

Duly noted! It has the making for another classic synth! I hope the sound is there as well to match the features in this synth!

NewsFromTheSky

Post by NewsFromTheSky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:11 am

cbmd wrote:It's good to note that the LFO's on the Prophet 12 have a "Slew" and "Phase" parameter per LFO.
Oh this is AWESOME. How about symmetry? Can I PWM a square LFO?

Namijoon

Virtual Version of Prophet 12

Post by Namijoon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 pm

I just hope that there won't ever exist any virtual version of this cause I'm planning on sticking with the Prophet 12 for a long time.

I wish there would be some sort of a legal thing on the Prophet 12 sounds that not any random software company could sample from it and stick it in their products. Call me selfish, but hey, I value hardware interactivity, and overall feel of sound, and it would bother me if my grandma could produce the same sound on her ipad.

Back in the day, it was the price that was stopping everyone to have access to great sounding gear, although the Prophet 12 is still a bit more expensive than what other companies are producing, it is still affordable, and that bothers. Call me weird, but I hope you understand my point.

Just my thought.
DSI PROPHET 12, Access Virus Indigo, Roland Juno Di, Yamaha CS6X, Digitech Talker, UR28m, CUBASE7, iMac 27" 2.9GHz, 32G RAM, FUSION DRIVE, VST's.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 pm

My request would be for a desktop version please, pretty please.

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am

Agree! A Prophet 4 desktop module with a few knobs and a OLED display would be just perfect. Just keep the same voice board design as for Prophet 12 and make a neat topping. Please make it multi-timbral.

Please do not make it too small (ref Tetra). I prefer a slightly larger module to one with hardware compromises complicating other parts of the instrument.

Would be very nice if it showed up in late summer or early autumn! ;-)

Fuseball

Post by Fuseball » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm

6 voice desktop for me I think. With flexible multi-timbrality (so it can do poly/mono combinations. :)
Prophet'08 PE #3591 | Tetr4 #2088 | MEK PE #1180 | Jupiter 6 | Juno 60 | Moog Sub Phatty | MS-20 mini | random digital stuff

nanniemanuele

Post by nanniemanuele » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 am

The ability, in the monophonic sounds, to use two oscillator and set one with low key priority and one with high key priority... As in the old Arp synths like the Quadra... So when you press two keys in monophonic sounds one oscillator play the higher and the other the lower note...

snowcrash

Post by snowcrash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

I doubt the P12 with its many voices will get such a paraphonic/duophonic mode. But it would be a great addition to any new mono(sic!) synth
Desktop Evolver, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Minimoog Voyager OS, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute, Bass Station II, Roland SH101, Micromoog, Korg Wavestation SR, Elektron A4, Korg ESX/EMX, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x...

snogglethorpe

Post by snogglethorpe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Hmm, wouldn't actually even need a new mode or anything, just add "high key" and "low key" modulation sources....

[Probably pretty much trivial to implement too!]
Last edited by snogglethorpe on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowcrash

Post by snowcrash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm

snogglethorpe wrote:Hmm, wouldn't actually even need a new mode or anything, just add "high key" and "low key" modulation sources....
Nice thought.
Desktop Evolver, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Minimoog Voyager OS, KORG MS20 Mini, Arturia Minibrute, Bass Station II, Roland SH101, Micromoog, Korg Wavestation SR, Elektron A4, Korg ESX/EMX, Hohner String Melody II, Yamaha AN1x...

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Fuseball wrote:6 voice desktop for me I think. With flexible multi-timbrality (so it can do poly/mono combinations. :)
6 for me as well please.

elmquist

Post by elmquist » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:32 am

I would love to have as many voices as possible available in a desktop module as well. The trouble is cost! Four voices is a good compromise as its allows polyphonic playing while still being not too expensive.

Mefistophelees

Post by Mefistophelees » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:04 am

namnibor wrote:Here's another feature request: How about THOROUGH beta-testing by thinking outside the box and utilizing average synth users that are prone to go beyond presets, use creative modulation routing, pushing Prophet 12 in ways *beyond* that of the same old "sound designers" have done with past products to find the plethora of "bugs" never caught by the usual beta testers? (not just DSI, as include Waldorf and Access in guilty as charged) :roll:
DSI do this already. They issue public betas and if you read the tempest forums you'll soon find those guys can be very tough.
In stating above, I am not meaning to sound crass nor slamming DSI but have experienced this with two other small synth co's, namely Waldorf and Access (Virus Control still does not work consistently/dependably), even when they released the virus Ti2). My two MonoEvolverKeyboards are incredibly stable and had considered recently adding a tetra but thanks to this forum, have kept reading how it still is quite buggy if one is trying to actually do "synthesis" rather than sticking with presets.
I had the distinct impression the Tetra bugs were quite esoteric.
My requests and two cents. In a still-dire economy, I would rather see a synth with price of three grand have a delayed release rather than released quite incomplete; e.g. Tempest!
I tend to rather see the small genius synth companies show-up over the so-called "big three".
They have to make a judgement call. It's a small company, get it wrong and the company could go bust.

The Tempest was released with the warning that it wasn't complete. It's taken somewhat longer than expected to get it all done but software can be like that.
FYI the synth side was completed very early on.

Some of the bug reporters tend to be rather loud. You might read about bugs but you should also read the threads in the Tempest forum where people say they are very happy with it - me included.
Note: Elektron is a very small Swedish Co. that has been literally working out of a garage and small as DSI when first came back releasing the Evolver on the world. They are very quick to add features and answer customer service and their philosophy is to *never* release an instrument until thoroughly beta tested by "average, cutting-edge musicians of various genre", and bug-free from release, to not mar their reputation as a very small company.
Their early stuff was renowned for bugs and I gather their latest stuff isn't exactly perfect either.

If you want perfect software you can add another 0 to the end of the price. It's possible, but it's really, really, really expensive.

DSI at least try to fix their bugs, unlike many much larger companies.

Iostream

Post by Iostream » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Fuseball wrote:6 voice desktop for me I think. With flexible multi-timbrality (so it can do poly/mono combinations. :)
While it's nice to expand on the idea of the original, I would rather see a full 12 voice desktop version similar to what the 08 got. Basically I want a full Prophet 12, but I don't have the space for another keyboard, and already have a great keybed.

Jakplugg

Post by Jakplugg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't know if this is even possible, but having "guitar mode" or MIDI mode 4 would be nice for guitar synth and continuum players.

In that mode, the synth responds to each MIDI channel on the same timbre, but with separate bend, after touch, etc.

Then you can play 6 strings, and bend only one.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Jakplugg wrote:I don't know if this is even possible, but having "guitar mode" or MIDI mode 4 would be nice for guitar synth and continuum players.

In that mode, the synth responds to each MIDI channel on the same timbre, but with separate bend, after touch, etc.

Then you can play 6 strings, and bend only one.
This is what I want.

I keep living in hope they will implement this in the Tempest.